Stanley Booth

"Waycross, population approximately 20,000, is located 60 miles from the Atlantic Ocean, 36 miles from the Florida state line, about 15 minutes via alligator from the Okefenokee Swamp, close to the heart of Wiregrass, Georgia, a territory which may well be the deepest part of the Deep South. Memphis, Birmingham, Atlanta are Southern; but they are nothing like Waycross. People around Waycross think of Atlanta the way you and I think of the moon—a place which, though remote, might possibly be visited by us or our children." Stanley Booth, 1969

1 comment:

  1. "Little" Stanley Booth's family lived in Winona Park right next to our friends the Robinsons. I can remember Little Stanley coming over to the fence to look at us as we played in the yard. We would talk to him. I learned many years later that Little Stanley and I were born in the same year, same month, December, 1942. Many, many years later, when we moved to St. Simons Island, Stanley's family lived in Epworth Acres. We got to know Stanley's dad very well, got to be good friends. His name was also, Stanley. He was a realtor. He was also,a lay-Methodist minister, and had been in the insurance business. We were, too--realtors and were in the insurance business. He always asked the blessing at our meetings. What a character!! Funny, wonderful guy. Mrs. Booth was very nice. About five years ago, my husband and I asked Little Stanley to speak at the Optimist Club of which my husband was a member. I was in heaven! To listen to him, knowing his history. He wrote articles for the Rolling Stone Magazine. I lost track of him after that. I believe he lived in Brunswick.

    ReplyDelete